Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Happy Earth Day!

Needing to break in my new hiking shoes, Cole and I met up with a friend at Indian Lake Park this past Sunday.  It turns out they did more breaking me in than anything.  It was mostly cloudy with a few episodes of light rain but the fresh breeze was beautiful.  Cole met several dog friends along the way and even got some off-leash time too.  We saw lots of wildlife including cranes, geese and a variety of other birds.  We even stumbled across a tree humming because of all the bees tending to the flowers. 

Indian Lake Park

For those unaware, I have a bit of an obsession with reading long distance hiking memoirs.  Last night, knowing I only had a chapter or so to go, I set out to finish the latest one from the comfort of my bed.  I Hike by Lawton Grinter is a compilation of stories from his 10,000 miles of hiking adventures.  Much to my surprise, I discovered that the author had also made a documentary film about one of his long distance hikes on the Continental Divide Trail (CDT) called TheWalkumentary.  Of course, once I found that online, I knew it was going to be a late night.  I’ve read so many stories of long distance hiking but this is the very first film I have seen about the subject.  It was great to be able to put something a little more visual along with the stories of transformation that inspire me time after time.
 

I didn’t find the time to celebrate Earth Day the way I would like to today with a beautiful hike and some photography but I did work on breaking in my hiking shoes a little more by wearing them to work.  Now, I am going to continue learning about the National Parks movement by watching part 3 of Ken Burns: The National Parks: America's Best Idea tonight which is available for your viewing pleasure right now on Netflix streaming.

“Keep close to Nature's heart... and break clear away, once in awhile, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean.”  John Muir

To see more of my nature photography, visit my Flicker page here.

No comments:

Post a Comment